Wetland Consulting Services (Pty.) Ltd. has undertaken over 500 specialist consulting projects ranging from local projects in South Africa through to participation in international studies. These projects have included specialist studies for Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA’s), mines, toll roads, and research projects.
The company also has extensive experience with wetland delineation and mapping and has been involved with developing mapping methods for wetlands nationally and has mapped over 50 000 hectares of wetlands in southern Africa, not to mention projects where wetlands were mapped in north and central Africa. We have also undertaken numerous wetland specialist studies for some of the large mining companies and have been involved in mitigation and rehabilitation design on various mining projects.
Another key competency is river and wetland reserve determinations as part of the Water Act Resource Protection and Assessment Policy Implementation Process. In this regard the company has undertaken a number of wetland Reserve studies and has been involved at the specialist level with the Letaba River Reserve Study for the national Department of Water Affairs and Forestry, and similar studies in Mozambique and Swaziland. We are also currently involved in the study on the Usutu Mhlatuze Reserve Study, as well as numerous Intermediate level Wetland Reserves in the upper Olifants River catchment in South Africa. WCS is currently developing new methods for Intermediate level wetland Reserve determinations.
The company has also been involved in the assessment of impacts and the development of management plans for a number of game lodge and resort developments where rivers and wetlands have been involved and/or where there has been a need for specialist input on waste water treatment form these developments. In this regard, the company also has significant expertise relating to the design of artificial wetlands for ecological and aesthetic purposes and bio-filtration systems for waste water treatment purposes.
Summary of the services provided by WCS are as follows:
- Wetland and riparian fauna and flora specialist studies;
- Wetland Reserve determination;
- Eco – hydrological Assessment;
- Biodiversity assessment and management plans;
- Wetland rehabilitation planning and management;
- Wetland delineation and impact assessments;
- Riparian areas delineation and assessments;
- Wetland Offset strategies development and management;
- Ecological assessment studies; and
- Artificial wetland designs (conceptual planning and monitoring) and bio-filtration for wastewater and stormwater treatment purposes